The surface transport is quite varied in St. Petersburg. You can choose a tram, a bus or a trolleybus to explore the city. One of their greatest advantages is that you can do a bit of sightseeing while getting around the city.Important to know:
- Since the 2018 FIFA World Cup that took place in Russia all bus stops are provided with maps of all the routes of trams, buses and trolleybuses that you can take at this particular bus stop. You can find similar maps inside transport too.
- To easily navigate around the city you can use Yandex Transport App that will recommend you the best route and will show how close or far away this or that bus or tram is from you.
- Pay attention to the signs at the public transport stops - if it is the one for buses, trams or trolleybuses. Sometimes stops for different kinds of transport are 5 metres away from each other, sometimes you'll have to walk for a minute, especially if it is a stop for a tram.
- If you have an all-transport «Podorozhnik» travel card, you'll have to validate it inside your transport at a special orange card reader. A conductor may check your card later.
- If you don't have any kind of pass or travel card, you can buy a ticket from a conductor wearing an orange uniform vest.